Wednesday, March 5, 2014

veggie bowls

I love this combo because it has a ton of different colors, textures, and flavors. 
You can get all sorts of creative with this “template” – using different veggies, spices, dressings, and adding beans/meat to the mix for more protein.
Here’s what you’ll need for this particular bowl.
8-12 oz butternut squash, cubed
6-7 oz shredded red cabbage
1 –2  cups broccoli and/or spinach
1 ripe avocado
cooking spray
salt
pepper
cinnamon
butter, coconut oil,
 or a dressing of your choice additional seasoning(s) of your choice
1. butternut squash
Start with this because it takes the longest. I bought my squash pre-cubed because…well, those things are just a beast to cut. Toss cubes with salt and cinnamon (amount to your liking), and place on a greased baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes (tossing it 20 minutes in).
Sweet potatoes would be a great sub for butternut squash too.
2. red cabbage
As with the squash, I buy this pre-shredded to make life easier. I love cooking shredded red cabbage until it’s soft and almost pasta-like. I cook mine in a stovetop pan with some cooking spray or canola oil, and season simply with salt and pepper. I cook it on medium heat (tossing frequently) just until it reaches the consistency I like, which is between 15-20 minutes. To speed up the cooking process, add some water to the pan and cover it for steaming effect.
3. spinach and/or broccoli
This is where I get lazy. I always have frozen spinach and broccoli on hand, so I just throw a bunch in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. When it’s done I add a little bit of butter, pepper, and garlic salt. Hey, lazy greens are better than no greens!
4. avocado
And now the easy part. Add sliced/cubed avocado. After these pretty pictures I mashed the avocado up into the cabbage and greens as a “dressing” of sorts.
**********
What are your favorite vegetables? 
Do you ever make veggie bowls like this?
source: girlmeetslife

No comments:

Post a Comment